Student and Family Handbook
Here is the link to the 2019-20 Student & Family handbook. Please take the time to look through it with your child as it contains important information about Short Pump Elementary School.
Common Sense Media
Common Sense is the leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to helping kids thrive in a world of media and technology. We empower parents, teachers, and policymakers by providing unbiased information, trusted advice, and innovative tools to help them harness the power of media and technology as a positive force in all kids’ lives. Stay informed about how to best incorporate technology into your child’s life: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/
Calling all Volunteers!
Interested in volunteering, see what it’s all about in this video. If you would like to volunteer at our school, please access the guidelines and application on the HCPS website. We look forward to seeing you around our school helping out!
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————Preparing to Chaperone a Short Pump Elementary School Field Trip
Short Pump Elementary School offers many opportunities for off campus field trips. In order for our trips to be safe and meaningful, we also need the support and time of our families. EVERYONE who chaperones a trip must read and follow these guideline:
- Learn about the school/classroom rules. Listen and follow the guidelines given by the teacher about the specific trip you are attending. Chaperones need to follow the same guidelines the students are given.
- Keep your students in sight at ALL TIMES. Sitting in close proximity with your group on the bus is highly encouraged.
- Chaperones are expected to escort students to and from the bathrooms and are to wait outside of the bathrooms until all students are accounted for.
- Make frequent head counts to make sure you have all of your students.
- Due to food allergies, do not allow students to share any food- even food without nuts.
- Cell Phones- you are encouraged to carry your cell phone and to use it only for emergencies. Please refrain from using the phone for personal use. Your focus must be on your assigned students.
- If a student is not cooperating or there is an issue you are not comfortable with, please let the classroom teacher know and he/she will intervene. Do not tolerate rudeness or any insubordination for a student.
- Field trips have agendas and timelines. Please make sure you follow the scheduled timeline. . Our buses must return to school at a specific time, so it is imperative that it leaves on time!
- If the trip has guides or docents to lead the group, please remember these guides are often volunteers. It is your responsibility to maintain order and respect during the tours.
- As a chaperone, you are expected to eat lunch with your group. Please make sure the students do not share any food due to possible allergies.
- Students are not allowed to purchase items in gift shops. Please do not visit the gift shop with your assigned students or by yourself.
- Students are expected to adhere to the school dress code. We ask that the day of the field trip you make sure your attire is in line with the student dress code and is appropriate for school age children and the trip being taken.
- At the end of the trip, please stay with your assigned students until they are under teacher supervision. Please remember, the purpose of a field trip is to educate our students. Thank you for your support.
Short Pump Elementary’s Traffic Plan